Sandy beach towels, from a pleasure-filled weekend are strewn in the lanai. Unanswered letters, and empty journal pages wait. Zoom meetings go unattended, communication is postponed. The books piled by my bed remain unread. No reading, no writing, no thoughts even. Summer is no time to work. I should have remembered that from other years. Since moving here I am in tune with the rhythms of the ocean. High tide rolling in, waves breaking, wind in the pines. Fog softened mornings with the spay of sea mist settling in my hair. The fog horn on the jetty sounding, and the flapping of cormorants as they dip and dive. I have fallen under their spell. I am flattened by the sea; bare, open, empty. What a wonderful summer, I think, turning it around in my hand.
Patience is what the sea teaches. Patience and faith. The shape of my life is formed by the ongoing, ever-present pandemic and the cancer my husband meets. We walk the beach in silence, but in harmony, all emotions carried out to sea. About a hundred yards from shoreline three pilot whales swim past, moving together like dancers. We stop at the cove and sit for a while, then walk home while the cormorants overhead are flying from the ocean to their resting place at the lagoon.
All summer my social life has been filled with chatting with friends outside, and lots of outdoor to-ing and fro-ing, exploring our new community.
It occurs to me that all summer there have been too few empty hours in which to stand alone and find myself. Back in June my single goal was to turn inward and rest my spirit after our great move. But summer is no time to rest. I should have remembered.
Now it is summers end, and I am filled up to the brim. The last of the summer vacationers have packed up and gone home, the beach cottages are vacated. Children are busy with school work now, and summer is spent.
At night I hear the return of owls. The leaves on the maple trees are falling, poison oak is aflame, wild berries like ruby jewels, cling to spent vines. The pumpkins in the family garden up on the mountain are readying and my thoughts turn to possibilities, past pies to Pumpkin Curry Soup, Pumpkin and Chickpea Satay, roasted pumpkin seeds.
The sand slips softly under my feet. I listen to the wind spilling through the pines. She calls me by name. The tide comes in and the ocean swells and my thoughts turn over like waves on the beach.
