Remembering: David Crosby and Me
One morning waiting to cross the street, a young man in a vintage green Chevy pick up pulled up. We looked at each other and he tipped his hat, I nodded to him and then I crossed the street.
I was twenty-five or there about and I’m thinking it was a Friday, maybe 1978.
The next week, probably a Friday again, when I approached the stop sign the man in the green truck was there, again. We repeated the routine, him tipping his hat, me nodding, then he watched me cross the street.
One day I left the house a bit later than usual and up ahead I saw the green truck pull away. After that I kept on schedule and so did the man in the green truck and each week things took on a flirty edge. Him watching me cross the street, in my nurse outfit, with me camping it up a bit.
Around that time a friend invited me and a few others over and said that her friend David would be playing some music for us. But for some reason I didn’t go. Turns out her friend was David Crosby and he drove a vintage green Chevy pick up.
Years and years pass and I almost forget about all of this.
Recently we had tickets to see David Crosby at a small theater in town. I’d planned to wash my hair before the show but ran out of time. Laughing my husband said, “Don’t worry, we’re sitting near the back, David won’t be able to see you.”
More teasing. “But it’s too bad you don’t have a picture of yourself in that white nurse outfit—to refresh his memory.”
And that image of me crossing the street dressed like a nurse struck us both as screamingly funny. We began laughing, and for days after, the insane laughter began again.
With tender honesty, Trevor explores how every ending is always a beginning. Her reflections on the deep power of women’s friendship, losing a child, reconciling complicated roots, and finding richness in every stage of life show that being an American Indian with a complex lineage is not about being part something, but about being part of something.
University of Nebraska Press | Barns & Noble| Bookshop & IndieBound | Amazon
“Terra Trevor’s memoir is a gentle invitation to journey with her across decades, an invitation to notice with her as she seeks healing and finds belonging. There were phrases and sentences I underlined, places where I wept, passages that will remain with me as they drew me to insights I’d previously struggled to name. I closed the final pages and knew that in reading this book, I had been the recipient of a generous and much-needed gift. While I can certainly finish a book in a day, I chose to move slowly through this one, letting each idea, each paragraph, each reflection gently spill over me, allowing the pages to alter me in some way.” —Patrice Gopo, author of Autumn Song: Essays on Absence



