Traveling the Wheel


Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. —Rumi 

Each year I give myself a word theme and I let it lead me on a journey, and for me the new year begins in the fall. Some years I’ve been specifically focused. But this time I didn’t want to establish any goals for myself for other than to let myself dream more and lean into the moment and be open to what comes. Of course I would continue to meet my work, home and family responsibilities. Though I wanted to let go of any particular end goal and stay open, willing to flow with the unexpected that arrives, and to step out of my comfort zone and be open to possibilities. 

Before I had a chance to select my word, my life began to erupt with more multiple changes and I could feel the pattern that began last year continue, holding strong. Usually I resist any changes I haven’t ordered. But this time I had no interest in answering from a place of fear or control. I was in sync with the energy and leaned into the changes taking place. 

Some of the most important things I had planned for were not unfolding as I had expected or wanted.  Our income decreased. Hard earned money saved, was spent on necessary life expenses. I’ve been living frugally for the past few years, saving instead of spending, and it made me grumpy to meet expenses with money slated for future hopes and dreams. My life’s circumstances left me feeling as if I were stuck in place and what I wanted most was to move forward. It was another year of drought, tenacious ants. Two fires, devastating mudslides. Health issues surfaced, his and mine. The dog got sick, vet bills. My mother and my father’s health took bad turns. Yet another close friend died and crossed over to the other side. 

Still, all year the good things out numbered the bad. My grandson learned to ride a bike and my granddaughter learned to walk and talk and now she is running. The dog’s health improved. Our health is stable. I had my lucky money saved so we could pay the bills. I broke old bad habits and developed new behaviors that better serve me. I made significant writing and publishing gains. Tending The Fire: Native Voices and Portraits was published by University of New Mexico Press and I’m feeling mighty lucky to be one of the authors featured. The honor extended to me being invited to do a reading from the book at The Autry Museum in Los Angeles.  I made good progress on other writing projects, including a second memoir.

What I gained in the 1990s when my son lived with and died from a brain tumor, is the confidence to know I will be able to deal when terrible things happen and that strength comes from sources unimaginable and that it is much easier for me to give than to receive. Things are not terrible now, only days filled with hard spots and soft spots. 

Craving a sabbatical, yet finding it necessary to stay rooted and meet ongoing obligations I began finding ways to weave study-time and time-out into my days and nights and to see my community with new eyes. I began Israeli folk dancing and made new friendships. I completed a Unitarian Universalist sermon-writing workshop and spent five months within a liberal progressive worship ministry team and made more new friends. I continued my daily long early morning walks with my dog, and wrote daily long hand letters to myself in my journal. I read all of the unread books on my shelves and stayed true to my goal of growing increasingly more minimal by purchasing less. 

I believe volunteerism is the backbone of community and the rent we pay for the space we take up on this good earth. As a lifelong volunteer within my communities I came to understand that I’m no longer a distance runner. Now my strength is sprinting. Giving my all to complete a section of the work needing to be done and then passing the baton and giving myself a pause, a hiatus before accepting the next volunteer assignment. 

There was a time when I didn’t know how to feed my spirit and ended up muffling it with demands and distractions, instead of stilling the center. I tossed out my to-do list. Canceled unnecessary appointments and gave myself a few quiet hours each week to be silent and listen within. 

At the end of each workday, instead of trying to get more and more done, I sat outside in the twilight watching the sky and the light change from day to night. The wind came up and blew my hair in my eyes. With a blanket pulled over my bare arms I let the chill air embrace me. In the light of the stars and the moon penetrating the night, I began addressing my fears and one after the other I tackled them. 

Each phase of the moon, the crescent of first quarter, to the almost full three-quarter moon called me and I saw how each phase lights up the earth in a different way, her effect on the waters, and my emotions, and the way she lights up the shadow side of life. In my Native culture the moons do not follow today’s 12-month calendar. Instead there are 13 moons and they follow the seasons. September brought a full moon two days after the equinox, relating to change, the turn from autumn to winter. Traveling the medicine wheel I found myself under the influence of the thirteenth moon and the way she heralds change, brings times of transition and new opportunity.

In the daylight dragonflies came and hovered over the pond. 

I was invited to deliver the sermon/inspirational talk I wrote (and I accepted) using storytelling to share the pathways I have cultivated to bring pockets of calm, tranquility and spiritual renewal in a chaotic world. Video. 

It was a year filled with hugs, tears, and laughter. I came to understand that I’m completing the circle. And yet I’m beginning, because endings are also beginnings.
When you write, you lay out a line of words. The line of words is a miner’s pick, a wood-carver’s gouge, a surgeon’s probe. You wield it, and it digs a path you follow. Soon you find yourself deep in new territory. Is it a dead end, or have you located the real subject? You will know tomorrow, or this time next year. —Annie Dillard


We Who Walk the Seven Ways is Terra Trevor’s memoir about seeking healing and finding belonging. After she endured a difficult loss, a circle of Native women elders embraced and guided Trevor (mixed-blood Cherokee, Lenape, Seneca, and German) through the seven cycles of life in Indigenous ways. Over three decades, these women lifted her from grief, instructed her in living, and showed her how to age from youth into beauty. 

With tender honesty, Trevor explores how every ending is always a beginning. Her reflections on the deep power of women’s friendship, losing a child, reconciling complicated roots, and finding richness in every stage of life show that being an American Indian with a complex lineage is not about being part something, but about being part of something. 

University of Nebraska Press | Barns & Noble| Bookshop & IndieBound Amazon

“Terra Trevor’s memoir is a gentle invitation to journey with her across decades, an invitation to notice with her as she seeks healing and finds belonging. There were phrases and sentences I underlined, places where I wept, passages that will remain with me as they drew me to insights I’d previously struggled to name. I closed the final pages and knew that in reading this book, I had been the recipient of a generous and much-needed gift. While I can certainly finish a book in a day, I chose to move slowly through this one, letting each idea, each paragraph, each reflection gently spill over me, allowing the pages to alter me in some way.” —Patrice Gopo, author of Autumn Song: Essays on Absence

 "Terra Trevor’s Pushing up the Sky is a revelation of the struggles and triumphs packed into the hyphens between Korean and Native American and American. From her, we learn that adoption can best be mutual, that the adoptive parent needs acculturation in the child’s ways. With unflinching honesty and unfailing love, Trevor details the risks and heartaches of taking in, the bittersweetness of letting go, and the everlasting bonds that grow between them all. With ‘Pushing up the Sky’, the ‘literature of adoption’ comes of age as literature, worthy of an honored place in the human story." —Robert Bensen, editor of Children of the Dragonfly: Native American Voices on Child Custody and Education