A few weeks after the idea of learning more popped into my mind, I took a leap of faith and asked another friend who seemed like she might be open to Tarot. Turns out she had much knowledge. I’d known her for years, but she had never mentioned it. She invited me over for tea (pre-Covid) and also invited her close friend who has extensive Tarot experience and knowledge. Thus, my learning began.
What I have also discovered is how much Journal Writing and Tarot complement each other. This opened the door for me to continue learning, and I'm now a believer. I'm not sure how Tarot cards works, only that it does work. I'm finding that for my personal life and within my writing life, I always pull cards in tune with where I am in my life.
Tarot Tuesday by my friend Patricia
Getting Started: First rule. I have only one rule I hold myself to, I do my best to let go of any meanings I have ascribed to the card so I can approach things with fresh eyes and beginner's mind.
I usually pull only one card to get started. Though you could add another card or two. Please remember there is no wrong or right way.
To get things flowing I begin by fanning the cards out facedown. I take my time picking one that “feels right.” Then, I get started writing which consists of describing the card in as much detail as possible. Notice the colors. Consider the landscape, the position of the characters and buildings. Is there more than one person? If so, what might they be saying to each other? Jot everything down—even random thoughts and follow where your instincts want to take you.
Also notice how the card makes you feel. What does it evoke?
Free write for a set amount of time—ten, fifteen minutes, or longer if you are engaged.
Example: For today’s post I pulled the Queen of Swords.
After describing everything I could about the card I sat quietly with the image to see if any memories or insight might surface. When nothing came, I began to ask questions. The questions I asked were ones that popped into my head in the moment.
Here are a few that came up for me. Feel free to use them for writing prompts if you like.
What does the landscape look like around her? What does it look like further out—in the places I can’t see?
What is she protecting? Am I protecting something in my own life? (This is where a shift happened and I realized why I was blocked). If so what and why?
I find it helps to turn the lens both inward and outward when wanting to go deeper. I usually do this after I have gone further into the process.
TIP: It helps to keep checking in with your body and how you are experiencing the imagery. Your body can give you a lot of information.
I discovered thru this process that what I am writing about (I am working in the genre of memoir) has a lot of emotions attached. I put up a protective barrier and it has created a block.
So, the next questions I asked myself were: Can I put down my sword? Is it emotionally safe to do so? Can I create enough emotional distance from this part of my story without needing to be so guarded?
Can I maintain its energy if I pull back a bit? Is there another way to tell the story? A more effective way?
I will explore this further on my own but recognizing why I was blocked in the first place was extremely helpful. Depending on what else surfaces I may create a small ritual around letting go or add a mantra and breath work to my daily practice or it might be as simple as naming the block. Sometimes that is all it takes to get things flowing. Not everything needs to be a huge revelation in order to be helpful.
Patricia said these exercises work well for seasoned Tarot readers and for people with no prior knowledge of the cards who just want assistance with their writing process, and in their personal lives. She signed her post by saying, "I look forward to sharing more on Tarot next Tuesday."
Except there never was another Tarot Tuesday post on her blog. However, I've discovered maybe I don’t need more. This one post gives me everything I need to explore and find what is lurking inside my subconscious, and it’s proving to give me fertile soil to write from, and to record my thoughts in my journal.