Happiness

Happiness is a decision. I’ve taken to writing a joy list in my journal to remind me to feel happy in simple ways. Sunrise. Black coffee in my favorite mug. Making a pot of soup with late season vegetables. Searching the garden and finding a few red serrano peppers clinging to spent vines. Sunset and moonlight with owl sounds pressing against the night. 

Last night a deep throated owl called out, followed by long minutes of silence. He called again and again. Just when I was drifting off to sleep, I heard a higher pitched owl. She responds twice, calling back to him. My mixedblood Creek author friend wrote a book titled OWLS DON’T HAVE TO MEAN DEATH. The owl symbolizes many things to different peoples. The stories auntie told us about owl were rooted in our Cherokee ways. Owl medicine is thought to be so strong it should not be mixed with other energies or worked with lightly or irresponsibly. 

I let my thoughts float, slip and drift. Happiness cannot be defined by mood now, not in these times with Coronavirus Disease still at a high-level risk in my California community. Happiness must be cultivated, tended to daily, like the garden.

It’s Fall now. We had some deep heat, in a drought, and the mornings have turned cold. The season changed overnight. Will my life change as well, again? My garden spider is still around. She grows bigger each day. I’ve come to know that she is an Orb-weaver and I am tuned to her rhythm. Midday her web is in disarray with gaping holes and trapped insects. She returns after the sun has set. Last night the moon was bright and I watched her have dinner. Before I go to bed, I go outside to wish her well. I stay a respectful distance away. She knows I am there. 


Each morning before sunrise I find her web in perfect order, all damage repaired. If I arrive when it is still dark enough, I find her still there. She leaves before daylight arrives.

 

Today, while she was away, I discovered the silver stands in the juniper bush, below her web, that look a lot like my silver-gray hair—really is my hair. Often, I bush my hair outside, by the back door. I watch the loose hairs fall to the earth or float away in the wind. On the first day I met the spider I remember seeing what I thought was a tangle of her web woven in the juniper, by the back door, near the spot she chose to weave her web, beside my hair.

 

Watching this garden spider while searching to find my happiness, I find my happiness in watching. 

When you write, you lay out a line of words. The line of words is a miner’s pick, a wood-carver’s gouge, a surgeon’s probe. You wield it, and it digs a path you follow. Soon you find yourself deep in new territory. Is it a dead end, or have you located the real subject? You will know tomorrow, or this time next year. —Annie Dillard


We Who Walk the Seven Ways is Terra Trevor’s memoir about seeking healing and finding belonging. After she endured a difficult loss, a circle of Native women elders embraced and guided Trevor (mixed-blood Cherokee, Lenape, Seneca, and German) through the seven cycles of life in Indigenous ways. Over three decades, these women lifted her from grief, instructed her in living, and showed her how to age from youth into beauty. 

With tender honesty, Trevor explores how every ending is always a beginning. Her reflections on the deep power of women’s friendship, losing a child, reconciling complicated roots, and finding richness in every stage of life show that being an American Indian with a complex lineage is not about being part something, but about being part of something. 

University of Nebraska Press | Barns & Noble| Bookshop & IndieBound Amazon

“Terra Trevor’s memoir is a gentle invitation to journey with her across decades, an invitation to notice with her as she seeks healing and finds belonging. There were phrases and sentences I underlined, places where I wept, passages that will remain with me as they drew me to insights I’d previously struggled to name. I closed the final pages and knew that in reading this book, I had been the recipient of a generous and much-needed gift. While I can certainly finish a book in a day, I chose to move slowly through this one, letting each idea, each paragraph, each reflection gently spill over me, allowing the pages to alter me in some way.” —Patrice Gopo, author of Autumn Song: Essays on Absence

 "Terra Trevor’s Pushing up the Sky is a revelation of the struggles and triumphs packed into the hyphens between Korean and Native American and American. From her, we learn that adoption can best be mutual, that the adoptive parent needs acculturation in the child’s ways. With unflinching honesty and unfailing love, Trevor details the risks and heartaches of taking in, the bittersweetness of letting go, and the everlasting bonds that grow between them all. With ‘Pushing up the Sky’, the ‘literature of adoption’ comes of age as literature, worthy of an honored place in the human story." —Robert Bensen, editor of Children of the Dragonfly: Native American Voices on Child Custody and Education