For the past ten years I’ve been living a minimalist lifestyle, but there was a time when my cluttered desk told a different story.
Open shelves housed every book, magazine and literary journal that had published my work, hundreds of publications.
I had also saved everything I had ever loved or thought might prove useful in the future.
My collections of cards, letters and photographs, made the room feel small, but I thought I needed them in order to be creative because they were linked with my identity.
Here I am in 1994, with my first Mac.
Then one morning I reached my limit and decided to change my ways. With less things surrounding me, I began to connect to the part of me that craves simplicity. A calm peaceful feeling took hold.
With less stuff everywhere my cluttered thoughts lifted, my writing grew more abundant and I felt rested at the end of my workday, renewed.