While I was in St. Louis on Sunday evening, June 28, a severe line of thunderstorms raced over the section of town where I was staying, and a tornado warning was issued.
The sky turned dark, the wind howled, and then it roared.
We took shelter, huddled together in the safest place available. Fortunately it passed right over us without touching down.
It didn’t last long, but it was long enough for this California girl.
When I'm in Oklahoma and in the midwest we’ve had plenty of tornado watches. Once, many years ago, in Oklahoma, when my three children were small. We were visiting family and on the last night before driving to Missouri to visit friends we stayed in a cheap motel in a rural area, and a tornado headed our way. I planted my kids in the bathtub, wrapped in a quilt, and we were lucky it passed over us. And I'm thankful to have been lucky again on Sunday night.